Want to help someone in grief? Put these 10 things into practice and I guarantee that you will be a comfort and blessing in supporting anyone who is grieving.
1. Be present, now and in the future
2. Let them know you are there to hurt with them
3. Don’t try to “fix” the griever
4. Say very little (there are no magic words) … Listen and validate their pain
5. Avoid unsolicited intellectualizing, rationalizing, scripturalizing or spiritualizing of their loss
6. Grant grace and tolerance to allow them to grieve in their own way
7. Ask what you can do right now that might help them
8. Place no expectations or timetables on their grief
9. Keep saying the name and share stories with them of their loved one who they will always actively continue to love.
10. Don’t try to help them get over it, continue following these steps long term in support of helping them get through it
WSN – WSN – Words from my Alan Pedersen, Inspirational Speaker on Grief/Award-winning songwriter at Angels Across the USA.
Leave a Reply